Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Chorus Line (1985)

Terry's Grade: B


A Chorus Line is a movie that probably appeals most to people who've actually been involved in musical theater, and somewhat less to people who are just fans of musical theater. To everyone else, it doesn't really appeal at all. The story is thin; the entire movie takes place during a dance audition for chorus line dancers for an unnamed Broadway production. We watch as the dancers dance and tell their life stories; maybe we root for one or two of them to get the part (or not get it). Really, this is about the dancing, though, not the drama. That said, I was genuinely emotionally on edge during the final scene when the final cut is made.

There are a couple very recognizable songs in this movie. I Hope I Get It ("God I hope I get it. / I hope I get it. / How many people does he need? / How many boys, how many girls?") and One ("One singular sensation, every little step she takes. / One thrilling combination, every move that she makes.") were in my brain even though I never would have placed them to this play. The song Surprise, Surprise was apparently added for the film and not part of the Broadway show, although it was one of my favorites.

Michael Douglas plays Zach, the choreographer who's running the auditions. I don't think any of the other performers are worth mentioning, not because they're not great (they are great), but because they're dancers and in the context of a film blog, they're nobodies who don't really show up anywhere other than this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment